Jalazone camp was established in 1949 on 0.25 square kilometres of rocky hillside 7km north of Ramallah.
Most of the original refugees came from 36 villages in the Lydd and Ramleh areas. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan. The camp came under joint Israeli-Palestinian control following the Oslo agreements.
All shelters are connected to public water and electricity, but many are not connected to the sewerage system, instead using private latrines connected to percolation pits or allowing waste water to flood into the roads.
Small businesses in the camp have increased as it has become increasingly difficult for workers to gain access to the Israeli labour market.
- More than 11,000 registered refugees
- Two schools, one running on a double-shift basis
- One food distribution centre
- One employment guidance centre
- One UNRWA health centre, two others
- One physiotherapy unit
- One community-based rehabilitation centre
- One women’s programme centre
- Demographic profile:
Programmes in the camp
- Lack of sewage system
- Overcrowded schools