Marka camp, referred to by the government as Hitten, was established in 1968 on an area of 0.92 square kilometres, 10km northeast of Amman.
The camp is known locally as Schneller after the German rehabilitation centre established in the area before the camp was set up.
Many camp residents originally came from the Gaza Strip.
UNRWA's installations in the camp also provide services for the refugees in the camp's surroundings.
- More than 53,000 registered refugees
- One women’s programme centre
- Ten schools
- One distribution centre
- Two health centres
- One community-based rehabilitation centre
- Demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
- No ambulance
- Double-shift schools
- Not enough health centres
- Lack of sanitation labourers
- Sewage system needs upgrading