Khan Eshieh camp is beside the ancient ruins of Khan Eshieh, 27km south-west of Damascus.
The Khan historically served as an overnight shelter for trade caravans on the road between Damascus and the southwest.
This Khan provided shelter for the first refugees from Palestine in 1948. The camp was established in 1949 on an area of 0.69 square kilometres.
Most refugees are originally from the northern part of Palestine. Many of them are now well educated and work as teachers or civil servants. Others are employed as farm workers on Syrian-owned lands and manual workers at the nearby workshops.
- More than 20,000 registered refugees
- Four double-shift schools and two single-shift schools
- One food distribution centre
- One health centre
- One community centre
- One youth centre
- Demographic profile:
Programmes in the camp
- Insufficient water
- Substance and alcohol abuse, leading to violence among young people