Gaza Staff Remembrance

On 20 July 2014, Fatma A. Rahim Abu Amouna, 54, became the first UNRWA staff member killed in the conflict in Gaza, when an air strike hit her neighbour’s home. Her husband, also an UNRWA staff member, and one of their daughters were injured in the air strike. Fatma had been an UNRWA teacher since 1995. 

Inas Shaban Derbas, 30, an UNRWA teacher since 2008, died along with three close relatives when the house they were staying in was bombed. 

UNRWA teacher Mohammed A. Raouf Al-Dadda, 39, who joined the Agency in 1999, was working at a designated emergency shelter in the Zaitoun area of Gaza. He and his family had themselves been displaced. He was killed on 23 July 2014 while attempting to visit their original home, leaving behind his wife and five children between the ages of 2 and 11. 

Ismail A. Qader El-Kujk, 53, an environmental-health worker in Beach camp since 2003, was killed when an air strike hit his brother’s home in Gaza City on 26 July 2014. His wife and three of their six children were also injured. 

On 29 July 2014, an explosive projectile struck the Nuseirat home of 50-year-old Farid Mohamed Mohamed Ahmed, an UNRWA teacher. Farid was seriously injured and succumbed later that day to his wounds. The strike also killed his brother, Ahmed Mohamed, 51, who was the principal of an UNRWA boys’ school in Nuseirat. 

Munir Ibrahim El Hajjar was killed on 29 July 2014 when the UNRWA vehicle he was traveling in was struck by falling debris from a building hit by projectiles. A relief and social services programme staff member in Nuseirat camp, he joined UNRWA in 1999. 

On 30 July, 53-year-old Medhat Ahmed Al Amoudi was injured during the shelling of the Jabalia Elementary Girls’ school, a designated emergency shelter where, after his family had sought refuge, Medhat was working as part of the emergency shelter team.  He succumbed to his injuries in the hospital. Medhat joined UNRWA in 1999 and worked as a labourer in supply and warehousing. He leaves behind his wife, three daughters and four sons, two of whom were reported to have died in the attack.