10 June 2010
UNRWA is the focus of a special double issue of the academic journal Refugee Survey Quarterly, entitled ‘UNRWA and the Palestinian Refugees 60 Years Later’.
Two introductory articles, by guest editors Lex Takkenberg of UNRWA and Professor Riccardo Bocco of the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, are available here.
UNRWA and the Palestinian Refugees: A History within History (PDF)
By Professor Riccardo Bocco
UNRWA and the Palestinian Refugees After Sixty Years: Some Reflections (PDF)
By Lex Takkenberg
An article on UNRWA’s mandate is also available: The Mandate of UNRWA at Sixty (PDF) by Lance Bartholomeusz.
View the full table of contents below
Important role for Palestinian refugees
The volume marks the 60th anniversary of UNRWA and pays tribute to the important role the Agency has played on behalf of Palestinian refugees.
It aims to engage in reflection and debate that might foster the Agency’s continued success in fulfilling its mandate.
Contributions provide insights into UNRWA‘s early history, the pioneering nature of many of its interventions, the evolving relationship between the Agency and its staff, and, a subject which has attracted significant attention in recent years, the Agency‘s involvement with protection of Palestinian refugees.
Looking towards the future
A final set of articles looks towards the future: the search for a just and lasting solution to the plight of the Palestinian refugees, the role of Israel and the possible implications for UNRWA and the refugees in the event of a significant political breakthrough.
Refugee Survey Quarterly, Volume 28, Number 2-3, 2009
Subscribe or purchase the entire journal
Table of contents
Context and Evolution
- The Status of the Palestinian Refugees in the Near East: The Right of Return and UNRWA in Perspective
Jalal Al Husseini and Riccardo Bocco
- From Emergency Relief Assistance to Human Development and Back: UNRWA and the Palestinian Refugees, 1950–2009
- Palestinian Refugee Youth: Agency and Aspiration
- Palestinian Refugee Camps: From Shelter to Habitat
Henri Rueff and Alain Viaro
- Testing a New Paradigm: UNRWA’s Camp Improvement Programme
Philipp Misselwitz and Sari Hanafi
- UNRWA: Through the Eyes of its Refugee Employees in Jordan
- UNRWA and the Palestine Refugees: A Genealogy of ‘‘Participatory’’ Development
- Sixty Years of UNRWA: From Service Provision to Refugee Protection
Rami G. Khouri
- The Mandate of UNRWA at Sixty (PDF)
- UNHCR and the International Protection of Palestinian Refugees
- Is there Really a Protection Gap? UNRWA’s Role vis-à-vis Palestinian Refugees
- The Palestinians in Egypt: Identity, Basic Rights and Host State Policies
Looking Towards the Future
- Towards a Protection Strategy for UNRWA
- Future Prospects for the Palestinian Refugees
- Israel, UNRWA, and the Palestinian Refugee Issue
Joel Peters and Orit Gal
- Peace Prospects and Implications for UNRWA’s Future: An International Law Perspective
- UNRWA’s Policy Analysis and other Research Needs: Strengthening Knowledge Management Within the Agency
- Map: UNRWA Area of Operations
- United Nations General Assembly Resolution 302 (IV), 8 December 1949: Establishing the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
- UNRWA Consolidated Eligibility & Registration Instructions Department of Relief & Social Services, June 2006 (Excerpts)
- UNRWA in Figures, December 2008
- Revised Note on the Applicability of Article 1D of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees to Palestinian Refugees
From Relief and Works to Human Development: UNRWA and Palestinian Refugees after 60 years