Where We Work

Camp Profiles

Tulkarm camp was established in 1950 on 0.18 square kilometres within the municipal boundaries of Tulkarm on the western edge of the West Bank.

Tulkarm

It is the second largest camp in the West Bank.

Its original refugees came from villages and cities in the Haifa, Jaffa and Kissaria areas. The camp came under Palestinian Authority control in 1995. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure. The sewerage system is insufficient, since heavy rains in winter cause old sewage lines to flood dirty water, especially in the areas where the schools are located.

Over a third of residents are unemployed.

Statistics
  • More than 18,000 registered refugees
  • Five schools, one running double shifts
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, two others
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Tulkarm demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • Insufficient sewage network
  • High unemployment
  • Overcrowded schools

Shu’fat camp was established in 1965, more than a decade after all the other official camps in the West Bank, on 0.2 square kilometres just north of Jerusalem.

Aerial photo of Shu'fat and BarrierShu’fat was established after the Mascar camp in Jerusalem’s Old City was closed because of its unsanitary conditions.

Residents in the Mascar camp who were relocated to Shu’fat originally came from 55 villages in the Jerusalem, Lydd, Jaffa and Ramleh areas. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

Shu'fat is the only West Bank camp that lies within the municipal boundaries of Jerusalem. As such, its refugees are entitled to Jerusalem identity cards, guaranteeing them residency rights in Jerusalem and making them eligible for certain Israeli social services, including healthcare.

Since their movement is not restricted, Jerusalem identity card holders have not been affected by Israeli closures of the West Bank. Many refugees who had previously moved out of the camp are now returning in an attempt to retain their Jerusalem identity cards.

While UNRWA's official number of registered refugees in the camp stands at almost 11,000, the numbers are likely to be above 18,000. An estimated 4,000 refugees moved into the camp in the past several years to avoid losing Jerusalem residency rights. Seventy per cent of the camp’s residents work in the Israeli private sector.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure, though not all are connected to the public sewerage system. Overcrowding is a major problem. UNRWA's technical and safety building regulations have been ignored. Increasing numbers of refugees construct three- or four-storey shelters on foundations that originally were constructed to hold one- or two-storey structures.

Statistics
  • Almost 11,000 refugees
  • Four schools, including two private
  • One UNRWA health centre, five others
  • One physiotherapy centre
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Shu'fat demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
Major problems
  • Overcrowding
  • Insufficient sewage network
  • Overburdened infrastructure

Nur Shams camp was established in 1952 on 0.23 square kilometres, 3km east of Tulkarm. Archive photo of refugee overlooking camp

Original refugees in the camps came from villages around Haifa. Before 1952, they lived in tents in the Jenin valley near Janzour, until a snow storm destroyed their tents in 1950.

They then took up shelter in the areas surrounding Wadi Al Shaer, including the former British prison of Nur Shams, where UNRWA began building shelters in 1956. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure, and nearly all are connected to the municipal sewerage network.

The camp was transferred to PA control in November 1998, after the Wye River Memorandum and the first phase of further Israeli redeployment.

One in five residents is unemployed, affected by the inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • Over 9,000 registered refugees
  • Two schools
  • One food distribution centre
  • One health centre
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Nurs Shams demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Overcrowded schools

The Kalandia camp was established in 1949 on 0.35 square kilometres of land, 11km north of Jerusalem.

Archive photo of food distribution

The main Jerusalem-Ramallah road runs through the camp. The camp’s original residents came from 52 villages in the Lydd, Ramleh, Haifa, Jerusalem and Hebron areas. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

The Israeli authorities consider this area as part of Greater Jerusalem, and the camp was thus excluded from the redeployment phase in 1995. Kalandia camp remains under Israeli control today.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure. Most units are also connected to a sewerage system that was only designed for liquid waste and is unsuitable for refugees’ needs. Since people often make the connection to the sewerage system themselves, it often leaks. The Jerusalem Water Company replaced the network without coordinating with UNRWA in 2007, thus destroying paved roads and worsening camp conditions overall. The shelters lack ventilation.

Almost one in five residents is unemployed.

Statistics
  • Around 11,000 registered refugees
  • Four schools
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, five private health centres
  • One physiotherapy unit
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One health centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Kalandia's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • Unemployment
  • Insufficient sewage network
  • Destroyed roads
  • Bad camp conditions

The Jenin camp was established in 1953, within the municipal boundaries of Jenin. Small boys in street

It currently sits on 0.42 square kilometres. Most of the camp's residents came from the Carmel region of Haifa and the Carmel mountains. Due to the camp’s close proximity to the refugees’ original villages, many of the refugees still maintain close ties with their relatives inside the Green Line.

Many of the camp’s residents work in the agricultural sector around Jenin. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure, and nearly all are connected to the municipal sewerage network.

The camp came under Palestinian control in the mid-1990s but was the subject of intensive violence during the second intifada. The Israeli army entered the city and camp of Jenin in April 2002, declared them a closed military area, prevented all access, and imposed a round-the-clock curfew.

Fighting inside the camp lasted 10 days during which the Israeli army prevented ambulances, medical personnel and humanitarian workers from entering the camp. Clashes led to the deaths of at least 52 Palestinians, of whom up to half may have been civilians, and 23 Israeli soldiers. Many more were injured.

Approximately 150 buildings were destroyed and many others were rendered structurally unsound. Around 435 families were left homeless. Even as plans were launched to rebuild the camp and the United Arab Emirates donated land to expand the camp, there were serious obstacles to reconstruction, including regular military incursions, repeated curfews, Israeli closures and Palestinian armed groups’ threats to the project team’s security. The project’s manager, Iain Hook, was shot and killed by an Israeli sniper while in the UNRWA compound in the camp in November 2002.

Around a quarter of residents are unemployed, affected by reduced demand and increased debts.

Statistics
  • More than 16,000 registered refugees
  • Two schools, one running double shifts
  • One food distribution centre
  • One health centre
  • One physiotherapy unit
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Jenin's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Overcrowded schools
  • Extensive damage from second intifada

The southernmost of the West Bank camps, Fawwar was established in 1949 on 0.27 square kilometres of land, 10km south of Hebron.

Archive aerial photo of Fawwar

The camp’s original inhabitants came from 18 villages in the Gaza, Hebron and Beersheeva areas. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

The residents of the camp depend almost entirely on work inside Israel and have been especially badly affected by the inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market. Unemployment stands at 32 per cent.

Fawwar is twinned with a French city, which provides cultural activities and limited financing for projects such as a computer lab.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure, though not all are connected to the public sewerage system.

Statistics
  • More than 8,000 registered refugees
  • Three schools, one running double shifts
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, four others
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Fawwar's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Insufficient sewage network
  • Overcrowded schools

Jalazone camp was established in 1949 on 0.25 square kilometres of rocky hillside 7km north of Ramallah.

Young woman

Most of the original refugees came from 36 villages in the Lydd and Ramleh areas. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan. The camp came under joint Israeli-Palestinian control following the Oslo agreements.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity, but many are not connected to the sewerage system, instead using private latrines connected to percolation pits or allowing waste water to flood into the roads.

Small businesses in the camp have increased as it has become increasingly difficult for workers to gain access to the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • More than 11,000 registered refugees
  • Two schools, one running on a double-shift basis
  • One food distribution centre
  • One employment guidance centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, two others
  • One physiotherapy unit
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Jalazone's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • Lack of sewage system
  • Overcrowded schools

Far'a camp was established in 1949 on 0.26 square kilometres of land in the foothills of the Jordan Valley near the Far'a spring.

Boys playing tug-of-war

The camp is 17km north-east of Nablus. Far’a’s original refugees came from 30 villages to the north-east of Haifa. Like other West Bank camps, Far'a was established on land UNRWA leased from Jordan. Following the Wye River Memorandum, the camp came under Palestinian Authority control.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure. Far'a is one of the few camps in the West Bank where UNRWA is able to supply water by pumping from a nearby spring. During the summer months, the spring does not meet demand, and the local camp committee has to pay to bring water to the camp.

Most of the camp residents work in the agricultural sector and some depend on work in the Israeli settlements in the Jordan valley.

Unemployment stands at 22 per cent, affected by reduced demand and increased debts.

Statistics
  • 7,600 registered refugees
  • Four schools
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, two others
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Far'a demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • Unemployment
  • Water shortages

Ein el-Sultan camp was established in 1948 on 0.87 square kilometres below the Mount of Temptation and 1km from Jericho.

Archive photo of women and children

The original inhabitants came from throughout historic Palestine.

Before the 1967 Arab-Israeli conflict, the camp accommodated some 20,000 refugees. During the war, however, most of the refugees fled to Jordan. The remaining refugees originate from the Ramleh, Lydd and Hebron areas.

Like other West Bank camps, Ein el-Sultan was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan. Following Israeli redeployment in 1994, the camp came under Palestinian Authority control.

UNRWA supplies Ein el-Sultan with water by pumping it from a nearby spring. While all shelters are connected to water and electricity infrastructure, water shortages in the camp cause tremendous hardship for the refugees, especially in the summer months.

Around four in ten people are unemployed.

Statistics
  • More than 1,900 registered refugees
  • One school
  • One health centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • One rural women committee
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Ein el-Sultan's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • Water shortages
  • Unemployment

Dheisheh camp was established in 1949 within the municipal boundaries of Bethlehem on 0.31 square kilometres. Archive photo of refugee child

The camp’s original refugees came from 45 villages in the western Jerusalem and western Hebron areas. Like other West Bank camps, Dheisheh was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

While all shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure, 15 per cent of the shelters are not connected to the public sewerage system, instead using latrines connected to percolation pits.

A third of people are unemployed, with job opportunities restricted by the inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market. Unemployed people often open small businesses, such as roadside stands.

The camp was heavily affected by the second intifada.

Statistics
  • Almost 13,000 registered refugees
  • Two schools
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, two others
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Dheisheh's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Old sewage network
  • Overcrowded schools

Deir 'Ammar camp was established in 1949 on 0.16 square kilometres 30km north-west of Ramallah.

Girl in schoolThe camp was built on a plot of land belonging to non-refugee residents of Deir 'Ammar village. In return, UNRWA's installations in the camp also provide services to non-refugee villagers. The camp’s original inhabitants come from destroyed villages in the Ramleh, Jaffa and Lydd areas.

While all shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure, there is no sewerage system, and residents use latrines connected to percolation pits. A private septic tank collects the waste and dumps it in a wadi 3km from the camp, for a fee.

Following the Oslo Agreements, the camp fell under joint Israeli-Palestinian control.

The unemployment rate is 23 per cent and is affected by the increased inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • Nearly 2,400 registered refugees
  • Two schools
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, two others
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Deir Ammar's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • Unemployment
  • No sewerage system

Camp No 1 was established in 1950 on 0.05 square kilometres alongside the main Nablus/Jenin road, within the municipal boundaries of Nablus.

Aerial photo of Camp No. 1The original inhabitants of the camp came from the cities of Lydd, Jaffa and Haifa. Some residents are also of Bedouin origin. Since there was a water spring that provided for refugees’ water needs in the early days of the camp, it is also sometimes referred to as “Ein Beit el-Ma’” (“Spring of the House of Water”). Like other West Bank camps, the camp was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

The camp faces very serious overcrowding issues. Shelters have 0.2 metres between them, on average, and streets are so cramped that there are no sidewalks in the camp. Space is so tight that bodies of the deceased are usually passed through windows from one shelter to another in order to reach the camp's main street during funerals.

Following the Israeli army redeployment in 1995, the camp came under Palestinian Authority control.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure.

The unemployment rate is 25 per cent and is affected by the increased inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • Around 6,750 registered refugees
  • Two schools
  • One UNRWA health centre, one other
  • One physiotherapy unit
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Camp No. 1 demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Serious overcrowding
  • Lack of open spaces
  • Overcrowded schools

Beit Jibrin was established in 1950 in the heart of Bethlehem.

Archive photo of Beit JibrinIt is the smallest West Bank camp, covering only 0.02 square kilometres. The camp’s original residents came from the destroyed village of Beit Jibrin, on the western hills of Hebron. The camp is also often called the Azzeh camp, since more than 60 per cent of the camp’s residents descend from the Azzeh family. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

The camp's residents receive services from UNRWA installations in the nearby Aida refugee camp and the UNRWA sub-area office in Bethlehem. The UNRWA camp services office is also based in Aida camp.

Following the Israeli army redeployment in 1995, the camp came under Palestinian Authority control.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure.

The unemployment rate is 30 per cent and is affected by the increased inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • Over 1,000 registered refugees
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Beit Jibrin's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Boys attend the boys’ school in Aida
  • Girls attend the girls’ school in Dheisheh
  • Patients use the health facilities in Dheisheh
  • Relief and social services
  • Social safety-net
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment

Balata was established in 1950 and has become the largest West Bank camp in terms of inhabitants, with over 23,000 registered refugees. Aerial photo of Balata

The camp’s 0.25 square kilometres lie within the municipal boundaries of Nablus. The refugees came from 60 villages and the cities of Lydd, Jaffa and Ramleh. Many are of Bedouin origin.

Civil society and political actors in Balata are especially strong. The first West Bank group to defend refugee rights, the Refugee Committee to Defend Refugee Rights, was established in Balata in early 1994. The camp committee is one of the most active committees in the area. Three of its members serve on the Palestinian Legislative Council. The youth activities centre and the women's programme centre organise many activities as well. The camp fell under serious pressure from the Israeli army during the intifada.

While all shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure through the Nablus Municipality, there are serious water and sewerage network problems. In summer, distribution systems only work four days per week, and UNRWA’s local reservoir provides limited relief. A municipal improvement project recently seriously improved the camp’s roads.

The unemployment rate is 25 per cent and is affected by the inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • Around 23,600 registered refugees
  • Four schools
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, eight others
  • One emergency physiotherapy unit
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Balata demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Bad water and sewage network
  • High population density
  • Overcrowded schools;

Askar camp was established in 1950 on 0.12 square kilometres within the municipal boundaries of Nablus.

Group of young boys

Refugees in Askar came from 36 villages in the Lydd, Haifa and Jaffa areas. Like other West Bank camps, Askar was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

In 1965, severe overcrowding led camp residents to expand to an extra 0.1 square kilometres of adjacent land. Camp residents refer to this new area as "New Askar". "New Askar" is not, however, officially recognised as a camp, and there are thus no UNRWA installations in the new camp.

Division of power between the Palestinian Authority (PA) and the government of Israel has further divided the original and “new” camps; the original camp falls within “area A,” and is thus under PA control, whereas the “new” camp is in “area B,” and is thus under joint PA-Israeli control.

Overcrowding persists in the camp. The camp committee has suggested expanding the camp's boundaries as a possible solution. Since these camps fall under the jurisdiction of host governments, however, UNRWA has no authority to undertake camp expansions.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure.

The unemployment rate is 28 per cent.

Statistics
  • Nearly 15,900 registered refugees
  • Three schools. The girls’ school operates on a two-shift basis.
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, three other health centres
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • Two children’s centres
  • One woman’s programme centre
  • One educational development centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Askar demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • Unemployment
  • Overcrowded schools
  • High population density
  • Split between Palestinian Authority and joint PA-Israeli control

Aida camp was established in 1950 between the towns of Bethlehem and Beit Jala.

Girls in schoolyardLike other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

The original refugees in Aida camp generally hailed from 17 villages in the western Jerusalem and western Hebron areas, including Walaja, Khirbet El Umur, Qabu, Ajjur, Allar, Deir Aban, Maliha, Ras Abu Ammar and Beit Nattif.

Aida covers a small area of 0.71 square kilometres that has not grown significantly with the refugee population. As such, it faces severe overcrowding problems. In many cases, the UNRWA installations in Aida camp also provide services for the refugees in the nearby Beit Jibrin camp. The camp is fully linked to municipal electricity and water grids, but the sewage and water networks are poor.

The camp came under special hardship during the second intifada, when the school sustained severe damage and 29 housing units were destroyed by Israeli military incursions.

The unemployment rate is 43 per cent and is affected by the increased inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • Over 4,700 registered refugees
  • One school for girls, operating in shifts. Boys attend schools in Beit Jala.
  • One food distribution centre
  • There are no health centres in the camp, residents access health services in Dheisheh camp or Bethlehem.
  • One emergency physiotherapy unit
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Aida's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Poor sewage and water networks
  • Severe overcrowding
  • Damaged infrastructure

Arroub camp was established in 1949, 15km south of Bethlehem. It is located on only 0.24 square kilometres. Children in street

Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan. The original inhabitants came from 33 villages in Ramleh, Hebron and Gaza.

All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure. One in a hundred shelters is not connected to the public sewage network and, thus, has latrines that empty into cesspits.

The camp is located on the main Hebron-Jerusalem road and Israeli military incursions occur sporadically.

The unemployment rate is 30 per cent and is affected by the increased inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • Over 10,400 registered refugees
  • Three schools. The boys’ school runs on a two-shift basis.
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, four other health centres
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre (currently inactive)
  • One children’s centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Arrroub's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
  • The women’s and youth centres are especially active in the Arroub camp. They organise athletic and cultural events as well as training.
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Overcrowded schools
  • Lack of sewage network
  • Occasional Israeli military incursions

Aqbat Jaber camp was established in 1948, 3km southwest of Jericho.

Archive photo of Bedouins carrying waterBefore the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, the number of registered refugees was 30,000, making Aqbat Jaber the biggest camp in the West Bank. The original inhabitants came from nearly 300 villages north of Haifa, as well as the Gaza and Hebron areas. Like other West Bank camps, Aqbat Jaber was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

Many of the refugees fled to Jordan during the 1967 Arab-Israeli war. The camp came under the Palestinian Authority’s control following the signing of the 1994 Cairo Agreement. The remaining refugees mostly originate from 22 villages, including Deir Al-Dhannam. Ajour, Al-Mismiyya, Abbasiyeh, Beit Jibrin, Tel Al Safi, Beit Dajan, Yazou and Kufr Ana.

Non-refugees have also moved onto camp lands and some have illegally constructed houses there. Residents today work primarily in agriculture in the Jordan valley, or in nearby Israeli settlements.

While all shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure, water scarcity is a major problem in this desert area. During the summer months, residents face severe water shortages which cause tremendous hardship. UNRWA is able to provide some water to the camp by pumping it from a nearby spring, though the Israeli water company Mekerot is the main supplier of water to the camp. There is no storm water drainage, and during heavy rains, water floods residents’ homes.

The unemployment rate is 28 per cent and is affected by the inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.

Statistics
  • Around 6,400 registered refugees
  • Two schools
  • One food distribution centre
  • One UNRWA health centre, two other health centres
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One children’s centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:
    Graph of Aqbat Jaber's demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • High unemployment
  • Severe water shortages
  • Floods in heavy rains

The Red Cross established Am’ari camp in 1949 within the municipal bounds of al-Bireh, providing tents to refugees from the cities of Lydd, Jaffa and Ramla, as well as from the villages of Beit Dajan, Deir Tarif, Abu Shoush, Nanaa, Sadoun Janzeh and Beit Naballa.

SchoolgirlsLike other West Bank camps, Am’ari was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.

UNRWA took responsibility for the camp in 1950, constructing housing units with concrete ceilings. By 1957, UNRWA had replaced all tents with concrete shelters. Families of up to five people received one-room shelters, while families with more than five members received two-room shelters.

Today, the camp covers 0.93 square kilometres, and less than half a metre separates most shelters. Ventilation in shelters is very poor. The camp is fully linked to municipal electricity and water grids.

Following the redeployment of the Israeli army in 1995, the camp came under Palestinian Authority control.

The unemployment rate stands at 27 per cent.

The camp's football team has won the Palestine football championship several times and has been designated to represent Palestine in regional and international competitions.

Statistics
  • Over 10,500 registered refugees
  • Two schools. The girls’ elementary school operates in two shifts.
  • One food distribution centre
  • One health centre
  • One emergency physiotherapy unit
  • One community-based rehabilitation centre
  • One children’s centre
  • One women’s programme centre
  • Demographic profile:

Graph of Am'ari's demographic profile

Programmes in the camp
  • Health
  • Education
  • Microfinance
  • Social safety-net
  • Relief and social services
  • Job creation programme
  • Emergency food and cash assistance
Major problems
  • Lack of space
  • Poor ventilation
  • High unemployment
  • Overcrowded schools

Gaza Emergency Donate Message 3
US$ 149 PROVIDES A FAMILY WITH MATTRESSES, BLANKETS & A SLEEPING MAT