You are here
Since 2009, Mercy USA has partnered with UNRWA to provide relief and hope to Palestine refugees in Gaza, helping thousands of students and families undertake economic and educational growth. Mercy USA and UNRWA have collaborated on a number of projects to provide Palestine refugees with some of their basic needs and a healthy educational environment.
Mercy USA strives to alleviate human suffering and to help people help themselves. By focusing on health, nutrition and educational growth, Mercy USA supports individuals and communities become more self-sufficient – which directly aligns with the needs of Palestine refugees.
Some of the major Mercy USA projects with UNRWA have revolved around school lunches at the Agency’s educational facilities in Gaza. Throughout the 2012/13 school year, almost 9,000 primary and elementary students across 10 UNRWA schools in Beach refugee camp received a varied daily meal thanks to a generous contribution from Mercy USA – amounting to over 1.5 million meals in total. School feeding programmes help students focus through a long day at school, which has a positive effect on their academic outcomes. In addition, school lunches help ensure that all students reach their recommended daily caloric intake, which is particularly important in a context like Gaza, where many of the students come from poor families.
Impact of Partnership with Mercy USA
- Over 1.5 million nutritious school lunches served to refugee students in Gaza.
- 1.2 million diapers and 35,000 baby hygiene kits distributed to internally displaced Palestine refugees during Gaza hostilities in 2014.
- 79,000 blankets and 11,500 mattresses distributed to help displaced Gaza refugees through the winter in 2014-2015.
Read more about our partnership with Mercy USA
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Where We Work
- DONOR RESOURCE
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- unrwa approach to curriculum