Al Walaja: international law analysis

01 January 2011

The village of Al Walaja, located nine kilometers southwest of the Old City of Jerusalem and four kilometers northwest of Bethlehem, has a population of more than 2,000. Almost all of the village’s residents are registered as ‘Palestine refugees’ with UNRWA.

The original village was destroyed by Israeli forces during the 1948 war and thereafter, forcing its residents to flee to, or set up improvised homes in an area that became the current village of Al Walaja, situated on the then‐Jordanian administered side of the 1949 Armistice demarcation line (“Green Line”), and what is now Israeli occupied Palestinian territory (“oPt”).3 After the cessation of major hostilities in 1949, some 70% of the lands belonging to the old village were lost to Israel as such land fell on the Israeli side of the Green Line.   

© UNRWA
Two UNRWA students from Gaza enjoy recess in their first day of school. © 2017 UNRWA Photo by Rushdi Al-Saraj
Help send a Palestine refugee child to school