In accordance with Organization Directive (OD) 14 on the internal oversight charter, this report provides an account of the works of the Department of Internal Oversight Services (DIOS) in 2018.
In accordance with the Charter, the mission of DIOS is to provide internal oversight services that add value to and support UNRWA in achieving its mission by strengthening accountability, transparency, integrity and learning within the Agency. DIOS fulfils its mandate through independent and objective assurance (internal audit and inspection) and advisory services, evaluation and investigation.
DIOS endeavors to assist UNRWA in improving management strategies, practices and operations, and reducing risk exposure by:
- Enhancing results of the programmes, projects, strategies, and policies through evaluations;
- Providing independent assessments of internal control systems, risk management, and governance processes;
- Investigating allegations of misconduct which include failure to comply with UNRWA rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Supporting anti-fraud and anti-corruption initiatives; and
- Nurturing a culture of ethics, integrity and accountability.
This report is also submitted to the Advisory Committee on Internal Oversight (ACIO), and the Advisory Commission of UNRWA (AdCom).
The annual report of the Ethics Office has been separately prepared in accordance with the United Nations Secretary General’s Bulletin and UNRWA’s OD 30, which requires annual reporting from the Ethics Office on their activities and the implementation of related policies. The report is annexed to this DIOS report.