You are here
Syria Staff Remembrance
UNRWA has 4,000 staff working in Syria. The Agency relies on its staff to run its core education, health and relief services in addition to providing humanitarian support to 450,000 Palestine refugees in the war-torn country. To date, 18 have perished as a result of the conflict and a further 26 are missing and or detained.
UNRWA presents its sincere condolences to the families of the 18 staff members:
- Abdul Aziz Hamouiyeh (1973-2012) was a teacher at Haifa School in Mazzeh in Damascus. He first joined UNRWA in 2006.
- Maher Al-Khatib (1960 – 2012) was a maintenance technician at Damascus Training Centre who had been with UNRWA since 1986.
- Jihad Suleiman (1984 – 2012) was a school attendant at Ara School in Jaramana camp in Damascus. He had been with the Agency since 2007.
- Hussam Humeidan (1977 – 2012) was a teacher at Qalqilya School in Husseiniyeh in Damascus. He joined UNRWA in 2007.
- Rehab Awadallah (1967 – 2012) was a teacher at an UNRWA school in Qaboun in Damascus who joined UNRWA in 2003.
- Nasri Hassan (1961 – 2013) was a mathematics teacher at UNRWA Bir Sheeba School in Khan Eshieh camp who joined UNRWA in 1990.
- Muhannad Ashmawi (1974 – 2013) was a school attendant at UNRWA Naqib Al-Arabiyeh School in Yarmouk. He joined UNRWA in 2007.
- Imad Abdul-Hafeez (1963 – 2013) was an education specialist in Qadam, near Damascus, who joined UNRWA in 1990.
- Mohammad Awwad, (1973 – 2013) was a maintenance technician at the Damascus Training Centre who joined UNRWA just four months before his death.
- Suzan Ghazazwi (1956 – 2013) was a teacher at UNRWA Abbasiyeh School in Muzeirib nearby Dera'a city. She joined UNRWA in 2001.
- Houriyeh Al-Seid (1963 – 2014) was a senior staff nurse at UNRWA health centre in Muzeirib in Dera'a. She started working for UNRWA as a practical nurse back in 1988.
- Khadijeh Hadeed ( 1956 - 2014) was a school principal in Kafr Sabt school in Alzahera near Damascus who joined UNRWA in 1985.
- Mohammad Mizel (1958 - 2014) was a teacher at Tiberias School in Dera’a. He joined UNRWA in 1980.
- Ibrahim Mufleh (1959 - 2015) was a sanitation labourer in Khan Eshieh camp near Damascus, who joined UNRWA in 1987.
- Mahmoud Ajjak (1958- 2015) was a religion teacher who joined UNRWA in 1992.
- Kawthar Ibrahim (1985 – 2016) was a project assistant in the Engaging Youth Project at the Sayyida Zeinab center who had been with UNRWA since 2011.
- Yaser Shuaeb (1971 – 2016) was a driver in Aleppo who had been with UNRWA since 2015.
- Hussein Muhsen (1962 – 2016) was a distribution team leader and clerk at the UNRWA health centre in Khan Eshieh camp. He served in UNRWA for 24 years.
last updated: March - 20 - 2018
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Where We Work
- DONOR RESOURCE
- unrwa approach to curriculum