Irbid camp was established in 1951
Irbid camp was one of four camps established in Jordan for refugees who left Palestine as a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.
The camp was set up in 1951 on an area of 0.24 square kilometres near the town of Irbid, in northern Jordan. Originally, it housed 4,000 refugees.
By 1954, the camp's inhabitants started to replace the tents with mud shelters and UNRWA provided them with roofing material. Over the years the refugees have replaced these dwellings with concrete shelters and the camp now resembles some of the urban quarters in Irbid. UNRWA's installations in the camp also provide services for the refugees in the camp's surroundings.
According to the FaFo report of 2013, about 31 percent of Palestine refugees in Irbid camp have an income below the national poverty line of JD 814.
Among the ten Palestine refugee camps in Jordan, Irbid camp has the largest prevalence of people with a chronic health problem standing at 16 percent of the overall camp population. In addition, 44 percent of Palestine refugees in Irbid camp don’t have health insurance.
REFUGEE CAMPS IN Jordan
UNRWA operates four schools which run on double-shifts
One health centre provides primary health services to refugees living in the camp
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Where We Work
- DONOR RESOURCE
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- unrwa approach to curriculum