Beddawi camp was established in 1955 near Tripoli
Beddawi camp was established in 1955 and is located on a hill some 5 km north-east of Tripoli. Throughout its first five decades, the camp attracted large numbers of Palestine refugees displaced from camps such as Nabatieh and Tal el-Zaatar which were destroyed in 1974 and 1976 respectively. Further refugees came from Nahr-el Bared (NBC) after its destruction in 2007.
A Joint Security Forces Committee was established in the camp in 2018, which has helped to control an increasingly insecure situation in the camp. The Committee coordinates with the Lebanese authorities on security issues.
The camp was damaged during the Lebanese civil war, and witnessed several waves of displacement to the surrounding areas. The camp’s population has grown, most recently as a result of the Syria crisis. This growth has placed significant strain on infrastructure and UNRWA services.
REFUGEE CAMPS IN Lebanon
Refugees in camps
There are 21,252 UNRWA registered persons in Beddawi camp as of June 2018*
*This figure does not claim to represent the actual number present in the country as, for example, Palestine refugees may have left over the years and UNRWA does not track the habitual movement of refugees out of its fields of operation.
- There are two elementary schools, one preparatory school and one secondary school providing education to some 3,700 students.
- In 2007, two pre-fabricated schools were established just outside the camp to provide elementary, preparatory and secondary education in English to students from NBC.
- The UNRWA health centre in Beddawi camp was rehabilitated in 2015 and provides medical services to an average of 560 patients per day.
- Non-communicable diseases (NCD) like diabetes mellitus and hypertension are common in the population and, at the end of 2016, 11 per cent of the population was diagnosed with an NCD.
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Where We Work
- Our Partners