The information included here predates the start of the conflict in Syria in March 2011. For more up-to-date information, please visit the Syria crisis page.
Khan Eshieh camp is beside the ancient ruins of Khan Eshieh, 27km south-west of Damascus.
The Khan historically served as an overnight shelter for trade caravans on the road between Damascus and the southwest.
This Khan provided shelter for the first refugees from Palestine in 1948. The camp was established in 1949 on an area of 0.69 square kilometres.
Most refugees are originally from the northern part of Palestine. Many of them are now well educated and work as teachers or civil servants. Others are employed as farm workers on Syrian-owned lands and manual workers at the nearby workshops.
Palestine refugees from Syria have been severely affected by the ongoing armed conflict in the country.