- Population density is estimated at 50,000 p er sq km
Arroub camp is located in the southern part of the West Bank between Bethlehem and Hebron. It is situated mainly within Area B, although the section along Road 60 falls within Area C. An Israeli military watchtower is located immediately outside the camp.
Arroub camp has one of the highest numbers of Israeli military incursions of all refugee camps in the West Bank. Clashes are frequent, as is the use of tear gas, sound bombs and plastic-coated metal bullets by the Israeli military. A 17-year-old Palestine refugee was killed on 17 May 2021 amid heightened clashes in the occupied West Bank linked to the threatened displacement of eight Palestine refugee families in Sheikh Jarrah and Israeli military incursions into the Haram al-Sharif compound. Arrests and the detention of children in Israeli prisons are not infrequent during these clashes.
As with other camps in the West Bank, Arroub is characterized by high unemployment, overcrowding and poor living conditions. Many refugees continue to live in substandard shelters. The sewerage and storm-water network is in need of rehabilitation and contributes to flooding in some parts of the camp during the winter months.
Read more about Arroub refugee camp
REFUGEE CAMPS IN the West Bank
Refugees in camps
- Arroub camp was established in 1949
- It sits on .24 sq km
Four schools in the camp serve a total of roughly 2,000 children
- One health centre provides primary health care including reproductive health, infant and child care, immunizations, screening and medical check-ups and treatment
- Psychosocial counselling and family and child protection are also available at the health centre
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Where We Work
- DONOR RESOURCE
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- unrwa approach to curriculum