- Approximately 4,600 refugees live in Camp No. 1
- Population density is estimated at 166,666 per sq km
Camp No. 1 Camp
Camp No. 1 was established in 1950 and borders the Nablus municipality. It was the first camp established in the Nablus area and was thus named Camp No. 1. Because the camp previously received water from a nearby spring, it is also known as Ein Beit el-Ma’ or ‘Spring of the House of Water’.
The camp is located on the main road between Nablus and Tulkarm, a road that is often utilized by Israeli security forces (ISF). ISF incursions in the camp are not uncommon and frequently result in arrests, as well as damage to shelters. In 2014, one adult was killed in an ISF-related incident.
Camp No. 1 is today one of the smallest camps in the West Bank. However, with nearly 7,500 registered persons in the camp, Camp No. 1 is also the West Bank’s most densely populated camp.
Overcrowding has led to a lack of living and recreational space, which negatively affects residents’ mental and physical health.
Camp No. 1 has a very active civil society with numerous community-based organizations (CBOs) in the camp.
Read more about Camp No. 1
REFUGEE CAMPS IN the West Bank
Refugees in camps
- Camp No. 1 was established in 1950
- The camp is one of the smallest in the West Bank; it covers an area of .045 sq km
- Two schools – one for girls and one for boys – serve about 900 students
- One health centre provides primary health care, including reproductive health, infant and child care, immunizations, screening and medical check-ups and treatment
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Where We Work
- Our Partners
- UNRWA Fund