- They originate from villages and cities in the Haifa, Jaffa, Kissaria areas
Tulkarm camp, established in 1950, is located in Tulkarm City in the north-west of the West Bank. With a population of over 21,000 people in an area of 0.18 sq km, it is one of the most densely populated refugee camps in the West Bank.
The camp was severely affected during the second intifada by incursions, arrests, raids and curfews. Incursions still take place, though on a more irregular basis.
The main challenges in the camp are overcrowding, unemployment and poor infrastructure. Speci¬fically, the sewerage network is overburdened and experiences frequent blockages. The dropout rate in the schools in the camp is also relatively high.
Read more about Tulkarm refugee camp
REFUGEE CAMPS IN the West Bank
Refugees in camps
- Tulkarm camp was established in 1950
- It sits on 0.18 sq km, with an estimated population density of 119,444 per sq km
- Four schools serve around 1,600 students
- One health centre provides primary health care
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Where We Work
- DONOR RESOURCE
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- unrwa approach to curriculum